The Noah Hallock House
In 1721 Noah Hallock built this house for his 21 year old bride, Bethia Youngs. The house is located on Hallock Landing Road and has a metal roof with original wood shingles. It is Rocky Point’s oldest standing house and was the home of seven generations of the Hallock family.
The Noah Hallock Cemetery
Forty members of the Hallock family are buried at the little cemetery on Hallock Lane. The oldest tombstone, dated 1766, is that of Bethia, wife of Noah Hallock. Rocky Point Historical Society’s publication “The Noah Hallock Cemetery of Rocky Point” book is available for $7.00 plus $1.50 for postage. It includes history, maps, full tombstone inscriptions, genealogy of those interred, and many tales gleaned from a variety of sources. Order Now
World War II Honor Roll Sign
On June 4, 2005 a replica of a World War II “Honor Roll” sign, which once stood at the Joseph A Edgar School came home once again.
RCA Radio Central
On November 5, 1921, President Warren C. Harding pressed a button in Washington, DC, which started the generators at RCA Radio Central in Rocky Point. RCA became the world’s largest and most powerful wireless transmitting station.
RCA Logo Sign
A piece of radio history, in the form of a logo of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) that has been in the care of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) since the late 1970s will be donated to the Rocky Point Historical Society.
The Marconi Building
This building was used from 1902 to 1905 for ship-to-shore wireless transmission and as a training school for Marconi operators. The 12″ x 14′ structure was originally located on Fire Island Avenue in Babylon. Rocky Point’s RCA Radio Central received this historic building as a gift from Major Edwin Armstrong. The building is currently located on “Marconi Blvd” (Yaphank-Rocky Point Road) in front of the Frank J. Carasiti School in Rocky Point.
Legend says that “Indian Rock”, located on Sam’s Path, may have been the inspiration for the naming of Rocky Point. It is also legend that the local Native Americans thought the rock as sacred and many arrowheads were found in the vicinity of the rock.
Every rock is an “erratic” or visitor from a distance brought by the Ice Age. The first of the glacial Ice Age began about a million years ago, when ice and snow travelled across the area. All of North America, north of the Ohio River, was covered with one slow moving sheet of ice. The glacier moved crossed the region in three stages. The last of the ice glaciers, called “The Wisconsin”, left the north shore hilly and rocky between 18,000 and 20,000 years ago. Long Island is the terminal moraine of this glacier, which deposited sand, rocks and huge boulders. Many large boulders are found on Long Island, carried and remained where they dropped from the melting ice.
In Rocky Point, the colossal boulder is located on Sam’s Path at the former Hallock farm near Hallock Landing. The Hallock family built one of their barns next to the great boulder. By Natalie Aurucci-Stiefel
In February 1905,the Brooklyn Standard Union Newspaper recorded:
“Not far away is the ancient homestead, a fine well-kept house wherein lives Merritt Hallock. And close by the house is a remarkable rock, a huge boulder, whose shadow sweeps over many rods of ground as the sun swings in it’s course, a source of astonishment to every visitor who sees it for the first time. Fifty feet long, forty feet thick and rising thirty-five feet above the ground, would be a marvel. Venerable, indeed, as time goes in this New World, in a homestead running back without transfer of title deeds to colonial days. Remarkable would this house have seemed, with its seven generations of descent from father to son – – but the colossal boulder, whose fiery birth was in Connecticut or perhaps Vermont, looks serenely over the changes of mere centuries…”