Rocky Point Historical Society

 

roadster

Note your calendar for Rocky Point Historical Society’s regular meeting on Thursday, September 14th at 7:30 PM at the VFW Post #6249 on King Road. Michael Eiermann will present his program of the Automobile Factories at Port Jefferson Station. Mr. Eiermann serves as Treasurer of the Cumsewogue Historical Society. He is a retired Social Studies teacher in the Bayport-Blue Point UFSD.
There were three automobiles factories in Port Jefferson Station between 1910 and 1916. Automobiles such as the Finley Robertson Porter, named “The finest car in America” in 1910, the ONLY, a one cylinder (only one cylinder) automobile that won the Port Jefferson Hill Climb in 1910, as well as the Maxim Tri-car and the Metropole were manufactured in the Port Jefferson Station factory. The site later became home to the Thomas Wilson Lace Mill.
Rocky Point Historical’s general meetings are open to the public.

GUIDED TOURS: Saturdays through December 1-3pm

 
The Story of Indian Rock

Indian Rock on Sam's Path

Legend says that “Indian Rock,” located on Sam’s Path, may have been the inspiration for the naming of Rocky Point. It is also legend that the local Native Americans thought the rock as sacred and many arrowheads were found in the vicinity of the rock.

Every rock is an “erratic” or visitor from a distance brought by the Ice Age. The first of the glacial Ice Age began about a million years ago, when ice and snow travelled across the area. All of North America, north of the Ohio River, was covered with one slow moving sheet of ice. The glacier moved crossed the region in three stages. The last of the ice glaciers, called “The Wisconsin”, left the north shore hilly and rocky between 18,000 and 20,000 years ago. Long Island is the terminal moraine of this glacier, which deposited sand, rocks and huge boulders. Many large boulders are found on Long Island, carried and remained where they dropped from the melting ice.

In Rocky Point, the colossal boulder is located on Sam’s Path at the former Hallock farm near Hallock Landing. The Hallock family built one of their barns next to the great boulder.

Article from the book by Natalie Aurucci-Stiefel, In The Shadow Of The Rock.

In February 1905,the Brooklyn Standard Union Newspaper recorded:

“Not far away is the ancient homestead, a fine well-kept house wherein lives Merritt Hallock. And close by the house is a remarkable rock, a huge boulder, whose shadow sweeps over many rods of ground as the sun swings in it’s course, a source of astonishment to every visitor who sees it for the first time. Fifty feet long, forty feet thick and rising thirty-five feet above the ground, would be a marvel. Venerable, indeed, as time goes in this New World, in a homestead running back without transfer of title deeds to colonial days. Remarkable would this house have seemed, with its seven generations of descent from father to son – – but the colossal boulder, whose fiery birth was in Connecticut or perhaps Vermont, looks serenely over the changes of mere centuries…”

donatebuttonFB-FindUsonFacebook-online-114

Support the Hallock House, Order a Brick

The Rocky Point Historical Society is planning an engraved brick walk in front of the Circa 1721 Noah Hallock Homestead.

Learn More

Give to the Rocky Point Historical Society

Help us preserve and protect Rocky Point History. Your gifts are greatly appreciated.

Donate Now

Read Our Current Newsletter

Find out about everything that is happening in the Rocky Point Historical Society by reading our latest news and updates here.

Current Newsletter

Christmas Ornaments Now on Sale

We are pleased to announce that our 2nd annual Christmas tree ornament is now on sale. the new ornaments feature the RCA Radio Central Transmitting Station. Ornaments featuring the Noah Hallock House are also available.

Learn More